Do your customers understand your documents? Simple language in many contracts and legal documents has become a consumer right and a competitive advantage. Poor legal drafting has become a liability. Create clear legal documents and close the gap between your business and your clients.
We offer workshops, seminars and executive briefings on plain language. Our current focus for intensive workshops is plain language in financial services, insurance, and healthcare related documents.
We will be running public half-day workshops in Cape Town and Johannesburg from 08:30-12:30 on:
- 25 August 2014 at Regus, The Campus, Bryanston, Johannesburg - To reserve your seat click here
- 28 August 2014 at the Regus Business Centre, Mowbray, Cape Town - To reserve your seat click here
- 6 October 2014 at Regus, The Campus, Bryanston, Johannesburg - To reserve your seat click here
- 13 October 2014 at the Regus Business Centre, Mowbray, Cape Town - To reserve your seat click here
The seminar costs R1995 per person (including VAT).
Bookings are on a first come, first served basis. Michalsons may move venues or cancel workshops no later than two weeks before, based on the number of people who have confirmed their attendance.
Groups are small to ensure that the sessions are relevant to your needs. We give practical insights, rather than law lectures! We will refund you if you do not think you received value.
- Understand how plain language law and practice affects and can benefit your organisation.
- Identify unnecessarily complex language in a legal and business context.
- Learn practical techniques for drafting or editing legal documents in plain language.
- Plan successful plain language projects in your organisation.
- Reap the dividends of converting your organisation to plain language.
What do we cover?
A typical workshop includes most of the following, and can be adapted to your needs:
- What is plain language and why is it important?
- An overview of the laws that define and deal with plain language.
- What are the benefits of using plain language?
- What are the risks of using plain language instead of legalese?
- An outline of some of the most important plain language principles.
- Some effective techniques and tricks for writing in plain legal language.
- Related principles such as document structure, design and typography.
- Examples of how to write common legal words, phrases and clauses in plain language.
- Successful plain language projects and the role of style guides and glossaries.
- Things you can do in your organisation immediately and other action items.
- Practical plain language writing exercises.
- Questions and discussion.
We will give you copies of the presentation, useful checklists and further reading lists.
What sets us apart?
- Our sessions are small and interactive – you are able to ask questions and influence the discussion.
- We ask you questions at the start so that we understand your level of knowledge and your concerns.
- We provide practical insight and simplify the issues for a business context.
- We tell you what you need to know rather than everything.
Who should attend?
- Managers – to manage the legal documents that relate to their products or business.
- Marketing managers- to market legally and effectively using plain language principles.
- Communications and PR professionals – to learn techniques for more effective communication.
- Lawyers, in-house legal advisers and paralegals – to draft good documents and provide good advice.
- Auditors and assurance providers (internal and external) – to provide plain language assurance.
- Risk managers – to manage risks regarding complicated or unlawful language.
- Compliance officers – to effectively comply with plain language laws.
We also offer this topic in the form of a short executive briefing to help develop successful compliance programs and explain the issues to boards of directors, investors and other business stakeholders. The briefing helps executives convert compliance efforts into positive public relations and business benefits.
Who is the presenter?
Andrew is a practical and internationally experienced commercial attorney, with specific expertise in plain legal language and consumer protection law. He is a fanatical plain language lawyer who drafts, edits and audits a wide range of agreements and other legal documents using plain language principles. He enjoys educating clients and colleagues about plain language.
We are happy to give the seminar, workshop or executive briefing at your offices or another suitable venue.
How long is it?
The workshop is usually either a half day or a full day, depending on the level of detail wanted. Seminars and executive briefings are usually 45 minutes to an hour.
If you are interested, please Enquire now