Date: January 12, 2015 - 10 pm
Category: Email, Information Security, IT Governance, Labour, Products
Do you need an Email Use Policy (sometimes called an Email Policy, Email Security Policy or Email Usage Policy)? It will protect the organisation in the following ways:
- reduce potential legal liability in respect of claims by employees or third parties;
- protect proprietary or confidential business information from unauthorised access or disclosure to third parties;
- prevent losses (e.g. of data and other proprietary information), errors, and mistakes
- educate employees in the proper use of email and create an awareness of the associated risks.
Generally, by articulating what is permissible and what is not, an organisation may be able to demonstrate that certain activities engaged in by its employees fall outside the course and scope of their employment with the organisation (thereby avoiding vicarious liability for the employees’ actions), when called upon to defend its position (or institute legal proceedings to protect or enforce its rights).
There are two versions of the Email Policy: basic and advanced.
With the basic version, you get :
- an Email Use Policy (regulates employee use of email, is one page long and in plain language).
With the advanced version, you get the following four standalone documents:
- an Email Use Policy (regulates employee use of email, is three pages long and in plain language));
- an Email Etiquette Guide (containing guidelines around acceptable use);
- an Email Footer (at the foot of your email that affects 3rd parties reading email sent from your company); and
- an Message Disclaimer (the email footer links to this on your website).
What makes us different?
- Combined ICT Law and Labour law skills: Our policies are crafted with the input of ICT lawyers and labour lawyers thus ensuring that the critical related IT issues and people issues are covered
- Decades of experience: the Online Legal team have spent years developing these policies in practice as attorneys working with thousands of organizations such as yours. We know what works and what doesn’t.
Easy to Read Email Use Policy
In the fast paced information economy in which we live, people are pressed for time and will generally only read things that are relevant to them. A good policy focuses on particular audiences (typically employees, management and technical staff) addressing only those issues that are absolutely needed and that focus only on the essentials.
Easy to Manage
We group together various issues in a policy. Problems that arise do so in relation to an issue. It is therefore easy to update our issue specific policies when reviewed by you (which should be at least annually).
How do I get the Email Policy?
If you are interested,
We will contact you to find out more about your requirements and give you a quote.