BA LLB – Associate
Tel: 021 300 1070 (Ext. 7)
skype name: david_luyt
David joined Michalsons in 2011.
He works closely with technology service providers, software developers, and online retailers, and provides them with:
- Presentations – to give them practical information about the law that relates to them.
- Customised commercial contracts – to stop problems before they happen.
- Website terms – to help online stores and platforms run effectively.
- Company regulatory documents – to structure companies properly.
- Written opinions – to advise clients on the risks associated with their business and how to manage them.
He is knowledgeable about how the law applies to electronic signatures, websites, software development and licencing, and company regulation.
David has comprehensive writing skills grounded in his undergraduate degree in English literature. These have been directed by his focus on legal writing in the areas of Intellectual Property and Competition Law. He has investigated the changing nature of copyright caused by the internet and has addressed the implications of this on the South African economy. Because of this ability to explore legal problems affecting commerce thoroughly, he is well equipped to provide Michalson’s clients with tailored written solutions.
David is also an experienced communicator. He is trained in Speech and Drama and a confident public speaker. This paired with his legal qualification from the University of Cape Town enables him to deliver talks on topics relevant to the companies and individuals that seek Michalsons’ leading legal insight.
University of Cape Town – Bachelor of Arts (Law and English with Distinction), 2006-2008
University of Cape Town – Bachelor of Laws, 2009-2010
The law of taking analog processes digital, open source software licensing, how the law applies to cloud computing, and startup law.